Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cut the Net With Your Fire

Browsing an old journal I came across something my daughter, when she was little, in the deep night and deeply asleep, said, emphatically, "Mommy, cut the net with your fire."

Cut the Net With Your Fire

I know about being entangled in nets, who doesn't
those impossibly knotted ropy traps
we tie our hearts and minds with

and the nets we get caught in
places we oughtn't be, and swoosh
captured tight and tighter
until it hurts
the loss
of freely moving, living, having our being

perhaps our years of living are learning
how to be free

of any expectations but our own
and trusting our own fierce love to see us through

I tip my crystal glass with its ruby red wine
salutations, darling, and may you always

cut the net with your fire



Sketch, Celestial Dancer III, 2003

(post originally written on June 27, 2004)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, this strikes several very deep notes for me with my daughter. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, wonderful construction on a brilliant thought, and I love this artwork - love it, love it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is really superb brenda ...

    and so true, I've been in a fair few nets recently, and your description of the snaring, tighter and tighter until it hurts just to be bound so still ... well, it was acutely accurate.

    thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes our children speak pure poetry, in their sleep and out of it. When my son was three and drawing with a green pencil he said, 'It's green fire. There's some in your life, and some in my life.' Ah, sigh, out of the mouths of babes...

    Thanks y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I've been in that net for a long time and perhaps this poem helps loosen one tiny knot one little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She didn't know it in her sleep, dear child, but she was speaking to a whole lot of folks I suspect, and probably herself when she's older. She does suggest cutting the net with fire, Richard, which would be a rather fast knot undoer! Glad you liked this little netted but unetting ensemble...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. The truth of dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Celestial Dancer 3
    Il y a de la magie dans cette peinture !!
    J'aime beaucoup également The new profile pic !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. e_journeys, she had no recollection on waking of having said this, and unfortunately didn't have a dream to relate to go with it. I remember we laughed, though. My daughter is a dreamer though! It was one of her dreams that got me off my ass and figuring out financially how to retrieve our household from the mover and then negotiating with them, all ultimately successfully. I've always believed in the profound validity of our dreams...

    Jean, Merci! I love dancers, dancing...

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...