Monday, August 14, 2006

Cream Silk Pajamas

Unable to find my navy blue cotton pajamas in the chaos of boxes and piles of clothes, the loose ones, with the top of stars, I washed the silk ones I've had for seven years and never worn. Cream-coloured silk. Found wrinkled in the bottom of a large cardboard wardrobe box. The "Marilyn Monroe" set on sale at Simpsons in the Eaton Centre after working in a nearby office. The top is more like a shirt, and had a large red heart for its single button, which I removed and replaced with a pearl-coloured one. And then never wore. Silk seems too fragile and precious for constant wear. But this is thick, durable, and sleek and soft against my skin. I sit in the lake-blue Director's Chair with plant-green designs that I unholstered once, in front of the computer, typing, sipping coffee, wondering, should I go out and buy dancing clothes at Dancing Days?

Another sarong in golds and browns and oranges and a sheer top with small tangerine moons and shimmering lines like longtitudinal threads of stars to navigate by?

And when will I dance, and where, and with whom?

I pick a purple plum from the fruit basket; it has a slight tang in which its sweetness and succulence is contained.

tags: , , , , .

9 comments:

  1. Oh, how could you not wear silk? I can't resist.

    I like the tantalizing, tangy question you end this with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you continue to astonish...
    "and shimmering lines like longtitudinal threads of stars to navigate by"
    damn...

    ReplyDelete
  3. MB, indeed... we should pamper ourselves with silk and plums!

    Narrator, that image worked, but then I had to redo some of the others to echo it - Captain's Chair would have worked so well (going with navigating), but when I looked it up on the NET I found images of Star Trek commanders' chairs! I described it as a lake-blue colour, not quite oceanic enough, though it had to do.

    Sigh. Do you sometimes work back through everything when a central image comes? As you imbed it more properly into the poetic logic of the piece?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda - Yes, sometimes the images pour out - sometimes into three or four discrete mini-tales, and then they need to tie together, to assemble the waking dream, and you need to go out and hunt the pictures that bring the scene together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the way you're describing this, Ira. Do continue...

    Because I find your stories poetically woven from multiple strands of themes, and it's quite marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like finding the ways small experiences link with big experiences, and images (as opposed to just metaphors) bring those things together, and let the stories cross time and space... and then, well, finding just enough to dress the "set" in so the emotions flow across but not enough to stop the reader from seeing it as their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, but it's also an intuitive process, I see. You are like an artist working in multi-dimensional time as you weave the thread of the narrative through its many stories. It's fascinating to hear you talk about your creative process, and helpful, though ultimately what 'works' and what 'doesn't' is probably a call of an aesthetic that is hard to articulate fully... though the emotional tenor seems key to the balancing of many elements that you do in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know where or with whom you will dance, but I know you WILL dance. Those cream silk pjs sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are, Patry - I've been wearing them all week! Oh, soft luxuries... :)

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___