Monday, January 10, 2011

Photos from a late night winter walk...









Last night, in -17C wind chill, I walked some of my dog's favourite routes - a fairly large off-leash park with small hills, a school that's deserted late on winter nights, and took photos with my iPhone.

When I came home, I played in Photoshop. What new aspects to the shot can appear with various filters and colour manipulation intrigues me, and often triggers poetic response.

I offer more-or-less 'before' (with a little license since the originals were dark and grainy) with 'after.' All images evoke their own stories. Click on each for larger versions.

Of the two above, the one on the left looks like an empty, closed building late at night. The same image manipulated makes it seems alive, perhaps the location of a party event, or at least some kind of prophetic vision happening in the night.

The two images of the tree by the road, its boughs lined with snow, a tiny waning crescent of a moon in the sky, surprised me. Firstly, how the snow looks like a river flowing by the tree with the shadow of the trunk appearing as if a reflection in flowing icy water, and then the green and blue image which fit strangely to my image for River of Stones yesterday. What amazed me, working in the midnight air at my computer, was that the tree, though bare in winter nakedness, with different colour manipulations suddenly bloomed as if in richer seasons of leaf.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...