Sunday, August 12, 2007

On Sunday Morning...

It is a wonderful, bright & sunny Summer's morning. I'm not sure if I'm emerging from my cocoon or not, but I spent the entire day yesterday cleaning my apartment - at least half the day scrubbing my old sectional leather couch with a tiny natural bristle brush and a spray saddle soap that is simply amazing. The Italian pale gray leather couch from The Art Shoppe is almost 20 years old and has been through two kids, not just the milk burbs and apple juice but the coke phases as teenagers (well out of that now, tg), three cats - the leather worse for the wear, considering those little cat claws and all, and a fairly long-haired dog. It's ripped in one section, which I have to get fixed at some point.

My computer is full with my daughter's iPod iTunes songs and photos are a challenge, the system usually telling me the "scratch discs are full," so one at a time, saved onto a memory stick until we can figure out what to do - at this point I'm favouring a Mini Mac for her. But, oh what the heck, some morning photos for you-

And olde, fifty-five, a good age, as good as any, and lucky to be extremely fit - I notice no difference between now and 30 years ago in terms of flexibility or agility, the only thing is that I can't dance all night anymore. But even back then, I'd still be going at 4am and everyone would be flaked out around me. Now... I'm good for perhaps a couple of hours at most, though when was the last time I went to a party? A dance workshop coming up and we'll be dancing 5 or 6 hours straight, so perhaps I do myself injustice. Wrinkles on my face and tiny capillaries on my legs, but isn't that the wonderful part of aging? Seeing how far you've come? The way your journey is etched on your face, in your body?

You can see I am just moved in, more-or-less. That bookcase needs to be moved back by a strong man, perhaps my brother will drop by this afternoon. The wall needs some paintings - but with the very bright sunlight - the windows face due West, they can't be watercolour, something that can handle light like oils. Next year I hope to have some Italian silk curtains that I am lusting after, though they have to await other more necessary purchases (like a bed for the spare room). In the meantime, I went to the art store and bought kilometers of canvas, which are rolled back and clipped with Alligator clips until the sun comes burning around in the afternoons - it'll be wonderful in any other season, but those 30-35 C degree hot humid days, oh la! Steamy...

That's my doggy, Keesha. She's 8 years old, a Springer Spaniel, and very adorable.

1-BCAug12-07

2-BCAug12-07

4 comments:

  1. 1. Nice apartment!

    2. I love to hike, but after my 10-mile jaunt through Samaria Gorge on Crete last year, over bumpy rocky ground the entire way, if I go more than a couple of miles my plantar fascia start acting up. And I havevn't been able to run for years--it's bad for my disc. Ah, life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Thanks - it's taking longer to settle in than I'd thought, but it is a perfect little place for me. My daughter moved to her Dad's, so it's me and ma dawg now.

    2. I had to look up plantar fascia in Google! Ouch! With the discovery of Google Pedometer a few days ago, I now know my basic dog walk is 2 kilometres, every night, no exceptions. But I do that in about 20 minutes, so a 40 minute walk is 4 km., which I try to do a few times a week. Eight years of this has probably kept my poor feet in good stead. I can't run at all either - congenital knee issue and a sports doctor said, "Fine, run. It's up to you when you want your knee operation, in 5 years or 10." Dancing, because it's free-form, and I do a lot of yoga on the dancefloor (hey, before Madonna started adding it to her dance routines), doesn't seem to stress the knees and seems fine. It might be akin to your martial arts, or at least I imagine it so. Discs, ah... oh, Richard, we're... not as young as we used to be, but still pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The apartment looks lovely. Nice light. It must feel very odd without your daughter.

    I'm very lucky to have no issues with my back, knees, feet... (I sometimes think it's because I have such bad pain in my head, this uses up all the body's need to express itself in that way.) And still I go through long periods, like recently when I've been doing lots of extra work, when I don't walk enough and get fatter and (worse) more out of breath. Resolved to do better. This morning I left home half an hour earlier and walked part of the way. Felt good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, oh, it's been very hard without her - she moved at the end of May, and I have allowed myself to grieve fully and deeply as I embrace this huge transition in my life - from years of full-time single mothering to it suddenly and essentially over. My children visit, sometimes for a few weeks, and my daughter and I talk on the phone at least 4 or 5 times a week, and my son and I once a week, so we're still close, but I have so much time now! Yoga in the morning before work has become routine as has reading poetry out loud to the dark night air in the late evenings when I am tired (Neruda this week - oh, Neruda!). I don't know what's coming - I didn't expect it to be over this soon. Besides her involvement with the son of her father's girlfriend, she was also lonely with me working full-time and not even a brother to hang out with. Five adults and a cat and a dog live at her Dad's, a much busier household and someone is nearly always around for her. It's all working out for everyone, just the transition's taking time. It's all about adjustment, isn't it? Constant editing of ourselves, so our inner writing coheres with our outer lives.

    Most of my aches are small injuries that are a natural part of dancing. For no good reason, I started doing backward over-the-shoulder summersaults, dozens on a hardwood floor, Feb 3rd, and my back hasn't been the same since! I re-pulled the same muscle when I moved with all those boxes and carrying. An injury like that can take 6 months to heal. Sigh. Mostly one just has to wait, be gentle on that area, and wait.

    While you are really fortunate not to have back, knee or foot issues, I know your migraine headaches can be days long and terrible.

    And I certainly feel for you when you are going through a bout.

    Still, we are all doing incredibly well, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...