Monday, November 14, 2011

VidPoFilm: the Poetics of Video and Film Poetry *is live*!

I am ready to announce the birth of a new on-line journal:  VidPoFilm.

VidPoFilm explores the poetics of video and film poetry and offers critiques of works in this genre.

VidPoFilm: videopoetry and poetryfilm - poetry the key that slides either way.

I am both curating and editing the material at VidPoFilm. So far, I'm posting my Video and Film Poem Fridays articles.

VidPoFilm is open to submissions - only articles on other video and film poems, this is not a self-promotion site for me or any other video or film poets - but I won't have a description of my requirements ready for another month or two. Articles can be pre- or co-published in your own blogs, this is preferable in fact. My only rule, so far, is one article per year per video or film poet. Brilliant work is being produced world-wide in this field and I do not foresee running out of material..

Subscribe by RSS feed to the site. Blogger offers a state-of-the-art blog that enables you to watch the videos in your Readers. VidPoFilm is about disseminating video and film poems far and wide while offering a way to 'read' them. The stats on the videos and films discussed is more important than the stats on the journal site, so please watch the films -they are 'top notch'! These flicks are the crème de la crème.


[Below I have embedded an iFrame gadget that not only shows you the website, but is a fully functioning website within a website (you can only see this if you are at the blog itself, unfortunately). Read, watch, explore, comment.]

VidPoFilm


Home  Green Fire  Different, yet Same  Soirée of Poetry  Videopoetry  Celestial Dancers  Photopoems  Birthdance  Bliss Queen  Bio  Life Drawings  Earth Rising  Creative Process  Multiplicities  Links  Comments

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a beautiful new site! O.K. if I impersonate you over at the Moving Poems discussion blog and reproduce the text of this post under your name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but I haven't got submissions figured out yet. What categories, what days, if once or twice a year at most for a vid/filmpoet. Perhaps something like Mondays for theory articles; Wednesdays for artists on their own process/interviews, etc.

    I haven't yet grappled with how to explain poetics, and need to work on this before I can properly open to submissions.

    Briefly, poetics, in the way VidPoFilm uses it, describes mechanics in some way or other. Video or film techniques, visual and verbal images and how they interplay, describing a scene to articulate its flow in the overall theme, etc. How you come to see what you see and hear in the video (Vimeo & YouTube host videos).

    Any and all articles have to explore the poetics of a video or film poem. If they're theory, again the how.

    Perhaps you can integrate this comment composed as it is of a brief description of what I'm looking for in the post on the discussion board at Moving Poems. Or not.

    If someone wants to work on a piece on a particular videopoet or a particular videopoem for VidPoFilm (and their own site) they should contact me through vidpofilm{at}gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading over my comment, I can see lots of holes. A poetic essay, like the ones I've been producing, works. But you'll note there is usually always some exploration of how the vid/film poem was constructed -often in a description of film technique. Even noting how the images are cut to the beat of the music is talking about technique - to notice this and include it brings the readers attention to that awareness too. Describing the images as the writer of the article sees them enriches the viewing of the vid/film poem, offers another entryway into understanding the vid/film. And so on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, hmnn, maybe I should have one day a month, the last Sunday or something, where people can send in their vid/film poems and I post them all in one long post. I can tag posts so they will appear on different static pages that have their own RSS feed.

    You can see I'm still throwing idea around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think you made the right decision to go ahead and launch the site -- you had great material accumulating here, but it wasn't as easy to access all together as it could've been. For the 70+ people who get the Moving Poems newsletter, and all the people you and I reach in other online spots (Facebook, G+, here, etc.), it actually makes sense to announce it in stages. Those who missed or ignored this announcement may start to pay attention when they see another post clarifying some of these details in a week or three. The web is always a work in progress, IMO. It's fine not to have all your ducks in a row before launching something -- just look at how they unrolled Google+.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in the middle of a NaNoWriMo novella, and next month is Christmas, so quite busy until January.

    However, I"ve just thrown a post together for an "About" based on comments here: About VidPoFilms.

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...