Thursday, December 07, 2006

Sand, Horizon, Wind, Nomad, Tracks, Joust, Switchboard

Sand

At the seashore she shouted incoherently to herself and flung handfuls of sand into the air.

Sand from a beach so white it was like the pause between paragraphs.

Horizon

I wanted to make it over the event horizon this time,
to get desire past fantasy into the real.

But I couldn't.

Wind

In the angry, cold wind at the bus stop sand blew in my eyes.

My eyes filled with tears, the world of bright sun became unfocused.

When I stepped on the bus, my collar was wet with salt tears. The bus driver was concerned, 'How are you this morning? It's cold.' 'Yes, and that high wind blew sand into my eye - I'm not crying,' I laughed, 'it's okay.' And he smiled and closed the door and pulled the bus out into the traffic.

Nomad

You are a floater, tumbleweed, a fellow nomad.

How could it be any different?

Tracks

The point in the tracks where the switcher is.

You pulled it and we separated;
or, you went off elsewhere.

Gleaming steel,
it frightened me.

The trainyard was
a terrible vision
of the conventional.

I am responsible
for the manoeuver
that caused the
track switching.

The trains sometimes run beside the ocean and she was there, skeletal,
antique black lace gown, shrieking,
flinging sand.

You said all your women are possessive
and you had to hide them
from each other.

Joust

Monsieur, what you are suggesting is so unexpected, and breaks all the rules of jousting.

Deleuze knows: we cannot be anything other than rhizomatic nomads.

Switchboard

I sit at the switchboard, connecting people, transferring calls.

All day I do this.

3 comments:

  1. I love the weaving here. Fine and differently-colored strands (like the wires on an old switchboard). An organic progression of events.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful Brenda. I agree with e-journeys...the interweaving of different strands of thoughts and imagery creates a powerful, moving, story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. e_journeys, that's a beautiful metaphor, thank you.

    Adrianna, though I prefer to call you simply, Bliss, life is so full of multiplicities, and this story, who knows where it's coming from, but the sections are shaping themselves, and in short bursts, ah sigh, and in the interweaving a picture is emerging and I thank you for letting me know that you can detect it. :)

    Twoberry, you make me laugh - in a good, giggly kind of way! This story is about 15,000 words in now, and, sigh, it doesn't read from any angle as I had hoped, but it doesn't matter because I love you too. Crazy, joyful fellow blogger & lover of people!

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...