Friday, September 01, 2006

My daughter's poetry...

the absence
the negative space
the only space
the free space

the filling space
to cover wanderings
to put everything that doesn't exist
all the figments
and all the fears
blooming creativity
in the corners of the room
behind that beautiful
flower
pot
is what you can't see
underneath the shadows
spawn the ideas
in the absence
in the negative space
the only space
the free space

One of my favourites:

Often I
approach
myself

To see what has become.

Or this one she wrote for a poetry project. She received the highest mark in English, coming in at 89%, oh little girl (oh proud Mama). It's beautiful for me because I, too, usually received the highest mark in English courses in high school. Her Dad's a well published poet, too. She's 15 years old...

If these were your last words, what would you say?

I'd speak about foggy memories.
Fear, and walking in a daze.

I'd scream about being nothing special,
Egging, burning and drawing blood.
About injustice and theory and the snow covered car.

I'd talk about summer wind and sunlight and castles,
A butterfly emerging and the tiny fragile bones of birds.

I'd utter of cottage trips, muddy exploration and discovering new land.

I'd talk about ecstasy and blinding lights,
About bottomless regret and breaking everything in sight,
Rage that feeds your veins and becomes your existence,
Pumping.

I'd whisper about laughing till you couldn't breathe
And crying till you couldn't see.
I'd whisper self-destruction and mind alteration,
Intoxication, self-betrayal and my latest craving.
I'd whisper of breaking down and giving my heart away.

I'd passionately ramble about illusions and life theory,
About religion and everything that starts with why?
About finding a soul and defining a moment.
Life and death.

I'd discuss loving the wind, following daddy-long-legs and falling into comfort,
about campfires by th beach and flying on the swing.

I'd mumble about the hidden feelings,
The ones in the back that blend together
And the unidentified.

I'd mention being liked,
And snail covered roads in the moonlight.

How I can't say anything that hasn't been said before.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Brenda, wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that McGraw-Hill, School, New York came in through a Google search to an entry with the same title as today's but where I had a poem she'd written when she was 14, and I thought, oh, guess I'd better put up some more recent pieces of hers... :) What's a mother supposed to do, I ask?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, e_journeys. I'm going to put up something of my son's too. I guess we've all got the writer's gene :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this Brenda. Just love it. Thanks for sharing!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...