Friday, March 11, 2011

Whirling Stillness

Where time clots, a stillness whirling
in the motion forward. Points
of condensed age in the meridians.
I look to see

a dissolving mirror
bones, skin, neurons

the self-image.
This is not a poem neat as intact
fishbones, mysterious as dinosaur
fossils. The poem writes through
me. Rises from ruminations, dried
flowers on my spine
bursting seeds.

Are memories nomads wandering
our minds? Seeds of recollections
reflecting whole scenes from our past,
or partial images in the distorted ways we
compose and re-compose our lives?

Is memory how we narrate the stories
of our lives? Where we describe
our experiences to ourselves...

Do some experiences burrow like
bulbs in the network of capillaries,
memories memorizing themselves,
knots in the ganglia?

Replays of moments we've lived
that change as the story changes.

We are forever changing our stories,
aren't we.

Is that the river? Our blood
of experience?

Our collections of images,
re-iterating ourselves,
recalled, recollected, replayed.
Memories are slowed time,
knots in the Chi of
our neurocircuitry.

In the forever now, memories
where time recoils and coils slow eddying
resisting the rush.

Who I am is my memory of myself.

I remember you remembering yourself in me.




Wandering Nomads Bone Image, 2011, 19cm x 16.5cm, 7.5"x6.5", mostly archival inks, sepia, black, red, orange, and oil pastels, Moleskine sketchbook. Fishbones, dinosaur bones, ivory piano keys of the mind playing its strange music, I don't know. When I sat to draw an image for this poem, a vertebrae emerged. Click for actual size.

__

Big Tent's poetry prompt this week was to use the "stories or ideas" of science "as a metaphor for something in your own life or a made-up life. The odd mix of fact and fiction is poetry in the making." I've kind of combined a physics of time - suggesting that, like time slows down in black holes, perhaps it also does in the creation and maintenance of longterm memory in the onrush of the present - with a neuroscience of non-localized (nomadic) cerebral processes where memories might be compared to pockets of stillness in the constant flow of cerebro-spinal fluid, the sparking of chemical pulses. And then I did a drawing where a vertebrae emerged. It was all as strange as any Science Fiction. Ultimately, my piece becomes a philosophical poem about the nature of memory, of subjectivity, of the self. For other responses, see here.

(Picasa's a bit strange these days. Below a thumbnail for 
services like Facebook to read feed readers)





(Readings of the poem didn't, um, didn't, and need more tries, but the afterward, which is more like a pre-amble, was kind of fun.)


Home   Different, yet Same   Soirée of Poetry   Videopoetry   Celestial Dancers   Photopoems   Birthdance   Bliss Queen   Bio   Life Drawings   Earth Rising   Creative Process   Recent Work   Links   Comments

20 comments:

  1. Some interesting thoughts here. I shall ponder on this, and on your mysterious image. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent demonstration of how science can serve poetry and how poetry can serve science. Both are fired by a sense of wonder within a world of constant mystery and you capture that perception so well here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite line here? "Who I am is a memory of myself."

    Here is my effort:
    http://www.kimnelsonwrites.com/2011/03/09/you-and-me-scientifically/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you engage with the mystic of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful words, and I love your drawing. I am someone who relates to visuals, so this was an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very thought-provoking poser you have intrically woven!

    Here's mine:

    www.lkarris-kolp.blogspot.com

    (or click on my name)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:13 PM

    Wow, this is indeed something to think on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:17 PM

    What an fascinating set of ruminations! I particularly liked the questions: "Are memories nomads wandering our minds?" and "Is memory how we narrate our minds?" Lots of food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting images created in
    words and in the drawing, Brenda.
    Well done.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very curious and beautiful arrangement of images... I can't tell if it's art speaking through science or vice versa. Quite like the vertebrae picture as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the recurring image of memory as a knot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting poem. Love images you created

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, everyone... I'll be by your sites hopefully today, too.

    I think this is the beginning of a long poem - I kept wanting to write more - to incarnate it with more images, is one way to say it.

    While I was lightly transposing a kind of physics of time, time in a relativistic universe, with a neuroscience of memory, and suggesting that in our own brains we experience relativistic time in that the flow of the present moment is forever continuing, an unending stream, and yet memory seems a slowed time, a condensed time within that stream.

    And, while I didn't get it into this version of the poem, the difference between the present and the past is even more demarked as we age with our older memories taking precedence over the newer ones.

    It's called long term and short term memory, but why not describe it as relativistic time that flows in different speeds in our minds. Heck, time turns into space and they both bend and compact in a black hole where entire universes could exist for all we know. Who knows what memory is, but some of these theories of physics could be interesting metaphors for what the processes might be.

    So I think this poem is the 'bare bones' of a longer piece, sort of the 'backbone' ... which is the image, huh.

    The written piece is forming the backbone, the spine of the work.

    If our poetry, our art, our music, our dance and creative movement is a way for our souls to talk to ourselves, then we get messages from our creative selves, like strange dream-like vertebrae... :)

    I loved this prompt, many thanks to Big Tent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous start to a longer poem I'd very much like to read. I am very interested in the subject myself (facing aging in me, my husband, my parents -- particularly a very frail mother).

    The river image, our blood was particularly evocative. As is your artwork. Love the motion in them all. Also enjoyed the rich language you used.

    Thanks for writing with us this week. So glad you enjoyed the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well posed - the remembering loops our tales -

    ReplyDelete
  16. We are continually changing our stories as they build on each other. Cool poem!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh no! After reading your poem, I started a trip down memory lane and got lost. Think it was a wrong turn at the ganglia.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So thought-provoking, and packed full of images that propel the poem along. I love the movement of this.

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...