Friday, October 30, 2009

"Green Goddess" Papier-Mâché Masque: Painted and Varnished



I'm still in that stage between painting and seeing what I've done. The foil impression of the face in the painted version is something I am getting used to, though of course I wasn't aiming for a life-like masque. Both images are fairly close to the actual coloration and feel of the masque, though the upper one, originally taken under daylight bulbs, which brightened the colour too much, has been brought to its colours through post-photographic filters, while the lower one wasn't. By the time I realized photographing in natural light gave the truest colours, it was too dark.

________________
*Note: To see the finished masque, as well as two short slideshows of the process of making it, go here: Green Goddess Papier-mache Masque.

Home   Videopoetry   Celestial Dancers   Photopoems   Birthdance   Bliss Queen   Bio   Earth Rising   Life Drawings   Creative Process   Links   Comments

2 comments:

  1. it must be so rewarding being an artist! even if i had the creative ideas i would never be able to carry them out. i see a landscape i would love to be able to capture in a painting, and i cannot even capture it properly in a photograph. you, on the otherhand, have so many choices, so much talent, so many mediums, and so many paths to travel. this is such a grand idea, and the colors are exotic. i love the idea of the lily. please post a photo of you all dressed up in your new finery! :) happy halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know about that, Sky... you just begin, and what you're working on carries you through... you make a statement, a line, a shape, a colour, and if you like it, fine, otherwise you adjust, fix, change... probably like putting a room's decor together, or a garden!

    You know, I went out dancing twice in this masque, and both times I forgot the Calla Lily. The masque, being made of papier-mache, got a bit damp around the nose, and so I often had to hold it instead. It was also accidentally sat on. It's not solid like I thought it would be. When I'm sure it's finished and thoroughly dry I will silicone the inside to waterproof it and add a layer of cloth for softness against the face.

    Perhaps I'll dress in greens and hold the Calla Lily while wearing the mask and have my daughter take one last photo...

    I loved it white. Thought it *so Butoh* that I may make more.

    Anyway, the long answer - thanks for dropping by. I always appreciate your comments.

    Love & light to you, Sky. xo

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___