Thursday, February 01, 2007

Browsings...

Syntax, structured coherencies, letting go to enter the streams-of-consciousness writing. But see how chromosomes are packaged. Tighter than any sonnet. We are form, and bound to form. Still, to untrain my mind, I allow emergences. We each experience the quality of the world differently, the qualia, but there are points, nodes, of happenings, in the world, in the event continuum, around which I gather my thoughts as I write this.

Browsing the news, I find a skeleton of pins, bars and a plate around Barbaro's leg, which is already held by a matrix of screws. The abscess, pummel of pus. Prize racehorse with a splintered leg. Laminitis. Later in the day, Barbaro is put down.

I'm reading Jean-Luc Nancy: "Isn't life always an escape from death? And this escape from death - which at the same time doesn't cease moving towards death, of course - which is it if not life itself..." "...it survives, that is, it is always on the escape, skimming non-existence, contingent..."

But my writing is full of grafts! Inserted into the landscape of soil-drenched words like the traces of a village found near Stonehenge.

And then this: "everything has the mark of its own disappearance." This phrasing, these words, their potential meaning, remain with me. I hover over them for a long time, writing them into my notebook, tracing them with my fingertips. Nancy says death is inevitable, we know that, it's just that when is unpredictable. Unless with drugs, like Barbaro, or euthanasia. Is the unpredictability of our disappearance marked on us?
The coleslaw is pale green and crunchy, tiny slivers of cabbage in a piquant dressing; I crave it when I see it. English cucumbers sliced on a diagonal, green and yellow wax beans, chickpeas, tiny diced red peppers, cherry tomatoes, a typically creamy potato salad, pickled sliced beets, and dressing, who knows what, perhaps a version of Italian. This, my small lunch from a salad buffet.

I am deep in an office tower of the corporate world. Outside of nature, here where death is remote, where it's dark beating wings are hidden. What's beating inside my head is monotony. Flourescent lights. A world in which there are no bodily fluids, no bodies with organs. A world of sheer surfaces, billboard women, men divided into one of two ranks: managerial or service. Or am I unfair?

Some scientists in Britain created a mechanical stomach that partially emulates the complexity of the chemical and muscular processes of digestion. It is of plastic and metal strong enough to hold the corrosive gut acids and enzymes. The scientists deliver foods to the mechanical stomach that even contracts just like a real one, and can even vomit, and watch the bile begin to dissolve everything into its constituents. The stomach isn't like a real one, which is beyond our ability to reproduce fully. Learning how our digestive systems work, especially the absorption of nutrients is the point of this digesting machine. Testing foods, antacids, even how poisons get absorbed, fascinating.

Back at the desk where I sit it's not as if I have anything important to do; they just need me here. Anyone. Someone who's good at the tasks. They don't even mind my writing, or me in the act of. Digesting.

3 comments:

  1. Extraordinarily rich material here. What's fascinating to me about the corporate world is that beneath all those surfaces there exist all those bodily fluids and organs. Triumphal when humanity can burst through the sterility. Tragic when the sterility wins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. e_journeys, thank you so much, I appreciate your feedback enormously. I experimenting with a stream-of-consciousness writing that includes some of the news items and articles I read every day, as well as the strangeness of the corporate world I am currently working in. You know exactly what I'm doing, and the world I'm trying to articulate from an 'outsider' who-works-in-it sort of vantage point. It's not only that it's somehow souless, but that it's so contained, not messy, none of those body fluids ever appear here. I realized that the hand cream that the secretaries apply is about the only regular sensual reference to the body... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:41 PM

    Quote: "...everything has the mark of its own disappearance."

    This I find so utterly profound and I believe shall follow me for a long, long while.

    This composition is written with such a depth of insight. Something of the soul, which, in turn, recognizes the soul and, in contrast, that which is, or has become, souless. Does this make sense?

    I deeply listen as this piece begins and am mesmerized by the symphonic sound of the words which lead to the deeper composition. I have always believed that the best of composition holds symphonic sound.

    And to partake of the eucharist of Earth's bounty, in contrast to an office tower. There, right there, the paradox of living in the 21st Century~becomes more than sustanance, somehow, and feeds the soul with written word and observation.

    Shakespeare's "...penalty of Adam" resonates throughout mythological time, does it not?

    Brilliant~and beyond so.

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...