Monday, November 20, 2006

Sea-Break

The sea wall, broached. The heaving ocean swells over it. Water flying in howling wind collapses the brick and mortar and concrete stays like pins. There is no barrior.

What is to keep her from sweeping out to sea, her black dress like a murder of crows flying about her?

Her eyes are lit with terror as the water rises, foaming.

She shrieks at the turbulent sky; her voice joins the screaming winds.

She is thin and flaps like a scarecrow.

She stands on an outcrop. The water swirls around her feet, but doesn’t wash her away. The rock holds her safe.

Her face a venom of fury
when she sees me.

What is it she desires?

4 comments:

  1. where the wind meets the sea and the edge of insanity that is where creativity flows... we can play in that surf if the roots are right.

    How are you creating so much, so powerfully right now? Incredible

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some strange things happened when I was writing this piece, almost like a parallel universe was happening. It's freaked me a bit. And I am thrown into that strange trope of the author who is creating the story they are living by writing its action; strange because reality and writing somehow crossed over. Is it creating? Where do the words and images come from? I don't know: do you? Thank you, as ever, Ira, your reading means much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is this moment in creation where we lose control... I think sometimes about Frankenstein (book, not movie) when this happens, ecause there is that feeling of free fall, of letting go, but that's the moment when fiction or art takes flight, and joins the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ira, it was most strange, not like anything I've ever experienced before with writing. Lots of precognition with writing, like with dreams, but not a metaphorical rendition of a real event, both happening, as far as I can tell, at the same time. Did I create what happened, or just tune in at the same time? It's got me more than a little freaked.

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___