Saturday, July 08, 2006

Self Portrait #10 - Dancing Selves, Version 2

I'm trying to remember how long it takes for me to 'come round' to a painting - they're always such a shock when they're first done. Even things we create we have to get used to as they grow on us.

I'll fiddle with it for a few hours, then go to the library to pick up some books that have come in, and perhaps buy another canvas. Usually I trace the drawing, just in case I'm not happy with the painting, and I didn't this time because the large roll of parchment paper is in the back of the closet under the stairs, behind the small kitchen cupboard with the hot plate on it, and behind the iMac box, and it's a determined effort to get anything out of there. The canvas board seems to work, it's fairly dry this morning, and no buckling, but if I try again that means re-drawing the image, oh groan.

The colours are darker than they are in real life. I had hoped the way Flikr and Blogger lighten everything would compensate for it; but, no, and I didn't see this until it was uploaded. Flikr's free accounts have a 20MG limit each month, and I'm already at 28% of that. There'll be more posts of this painting later too.

When I look at it, I see wailing almost - that there's some storm or tempest. Or is that just my tired eyes? I was up till 3am and then woken at 9am by the thunderous noise of young children running and shouting just above my head. It's a good thing I love children, eh!

Self Portrait #10 -Dancing Selves, Version 2

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:10 AM

    I just see exuberant dancing and joy de vivre. No 'wailing'...

    (Thanks for the comments earlier on my self p's...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, Joan! My tired state of crisis and transition could account for my perception. Oh, ho. Thank you, your comment has helped enormously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful brushwork
    as usual, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Suzanne, coming from another artist, thanks! Only almost no brushwork - paint squished out of the tubes, spread with fingers. I never grew out of the finger painting stage... :) *hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that's
    best

    from a different medium
    but the same philosophy
    James Beard said
    the hands
    were the best
    most essential kitchen tool
    I'm about to
    dip my own fingers back into
    paints very soon

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___