Thursday, July 20, 2006

Debt-free and Dancing

A small celebration today. Not on the move, which I'll try to write about perhaps this weekend. But on being debt-free.

A goal since 2000 that I wished on, worked towards, danced at weekly Sweat Your Prayers™ with pain and wish for deliverance, was to be debt-free.

When I married my net worth was half a million; when I left the marriage 12 years later, I was a quarter of a million dollars in debt, largely due to my husband's spending habits (sports car, high speed boat, buying a cottage that had to have the most expensive finishing, paying off his visa year after year, itself largely composed of repair bills for the car and boat, and so on, I'm not saying it wasn't a fun ride but someone had to pay the toll). It was all rolled into a mortgage on my house, which he walked away from, not offering one cent on paying off that debt, a house I had originally owned outright. So I rented the basement, gave up my study/bedroom on the top floor and rented that, slept in my daughter's room, and continued on for 6 years, until I couldn't any more. My monthly payments were astronomical in comparison to my income. I sold my house, making almost no profit. With the money I bought computer equipment for my kids and I mostly, and financed a move to Vancouver and paid one year's rent on a house there.

After that year was up I had problems finding full time work, which I've blogged about, so accrued some debts, but tiny ones in comparison to where I'd been.

I'm happy to say that as of today I am free of debt to any institutions I owed money to. There are some debts to individuals and to family still, but the larger stuff is gone.

It's taken an extreme amount of effort to get to this point, now nine years after my marriage ended. But I've done it. I am proud of myself!

No, no money left over to go out and celebrate being debt-free to any institutions or companies. That's not the point. I'm doing an inner dance, and singing through today. The personal debts, the way I've been helped out, I now know will also get paid back. This is possible, today is living proof that it is. I gave up my credit card in the late 80s; my husband didn't. But then I gave him up. And slowly on almost no income I've managed to get back to a balance of 0, and now see that it's possible to again build equity. Maybe not all the way back to where I was before marrying, but somewhere.



Postscript: Cripes, yes I was debt-free after selling my beloved house, my home, but I was still basing my life on projections in the future - a year of writing, then a full-time job. It didn't materialize. I feel quite stabilized now in that I'm living in meagre surroundings but I can afford this. In the here and now. I'm not living 'on projections' (which I also did all through the married years). Is this called facing reality?

Whatever it is, it feels pretty darn good.

Postscript2: Do I regret marrying him? Look at my two children, just look at them. Well, this is the public internet and you can't. But if you could, you'd know that's not a relevant question.

No regrets. Only why was it at nearly the end of the marriage when I found out his family has a history of doing this to wives? His grandfather blew through his grandmother's fortune, philandering on her, even bringing his lovers into the house when she was there, and left her penniless, something his father grew up with with a lot of anger (he died just after we were married and was ill for some time before that, so I didn't hear the stories). And who knows of the generations before that. There was precedence. None of his wealthy family seemed to think what happened to me meant anything; I guess it was old hat to them. Now that's where I should have been more cognizant. I would have if it had been a history of violence towards women or children, obviously, but a history of financial abuse of wives? You'd hardly have thought it possible, given the patristic economic structure of past centuries... surely there's a story here of generations of a family.

14 comments:

  1. I'm doing a mini-dance at my desk right now for you! This is victory, Brenda! Real, solid, important victory. I feel so proud for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're bringing tears to my eyes, sweetie. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... and I feel proud for you too, Brenda. Dance on with joy and confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done babe! that's amazing.

    and so inspiring ... I'm digging myself out at the moment, after a business went under, and my partner walked out a couple of months ago.

    you've done so well. and isn't it freeing to live without those ridiculous notions that possessions and fancy holidays and expensive dinners are the route to happiness ...? and freecycle! i've had so many truly moving moments with other random human beings through freecycle, and i would never have had those if i still had money.

    i have also discovered how to cook just with what is cheap and in season, have developed a much safer and more eco-friendly style of driving that uses less petrol, and that making-do is often much more rewarding than going to the store.

    you're my inspiration now :) i think it will take me about five years to be out of this hole ... maybe a bit longer. but worth it. so worth it.

    well done. and i hope you have time for a nice long soak after that move. bruises on your bruises yes?

    hugs,

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that's a lot to overcome. Congratulations to you - you definitely deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Brenda! You've borne a lot and come out stronger, and given your kids a great model. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much, Mary, Stray, Ester and Richard, my comment in response ended up being a new post... xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. sad that so many of us
    have been in that pit

    and splendiferous
    that so many of us
    manage
    to climb
    out

    most deeply felt
    congrats, brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Writing about the financial aspect of the recuperative journey I've been on for many years is full of land-mines and pitfalls, since it's part of the story of my marriage, and hence very difficult. I don't want to blame or play victim; since I never put my foot down on the spending, I was an accomplice. Though that only one of us was left to pay it all off alone, ah sigh. He's a professional with a six figure income. That's been the source of much pain and anger over the years (especially since my yearly income has hovered around 12K, and never made it above 19K), but now that everything's gone, including the debts, it feels like a new tendril, a fresh start is sprouting. It's never been a question of forgiveness, only one of accountability. There are nevertheless ways of moving on.

    Thank you to everyone who left a comment, they mean more than you can know. Not validation so much as it's okay to reveal inner secrets and processes, that I needn't be ashamed of my journey. I was struck, reading this today, and I don't want to wear laurels you understand, not at all, but I wondered if that's what our most difficult experiences do:

    "This tree needs stress and hardship in order to show its truest and most beautiful colors. If a tri-color beech tree is overfed and given too much care and attention, it will lose the variegation in the leaves, and fade into a single reddish color." J L Blackwater at Arboreality.

    Perhaps that's as good a summation as any for the challenges we face.

    As for my children, I've never suggested they make any decisions about their parents, and always promoted their Dad's love for them; so they remain torn, living in a world not composed of easy answers or clear cut paths. I don't want them ever to have to take sides, but to encompass both and all the tumultuous and loving feelings that accompany not viewing their family or their world in black and white. And pray this is best in the long run...

    ReplyDelete
  10. (o)

    Congratulations, Brenda. That is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your financial liberation, but in the deeper sense, you seem as if you've always been free. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your perseverance, your faith, your determination, your love, your sense of magic in tandem with the practical, your strength, your courage. And your survival. Through this post, you show that all of this is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elissa, now you're gonna make me cry... thank you, for your understanding, support, encouragement, magic. xo

    Dale, (o) right back at you! Thank you, wonderful friend...

    Patry, it's amazing how versatile we really are, how easily we can emcompass changes, difficulties, seemingly insurmountable obstacles. I would have been fine had I lost everything. Knowing that, I was reunited.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Positively brilliant! Congrats to you, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___