Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Self Portrait #2

Self Portrait #2, June 13, 2006Another sketch, for Sparky's Self Portrait Marathon, surreptitiously where I'm working. The small mirror was under the counter, it was dimly lit, and I had my sketch book flat in front of me, so... Someone did say, "That looks like you!" But then my daughter said it was cartoony and didn't. Representation. Oh, sigh. Self-portraits. Oh, sigh.

While I released myself from having to make people look like themselves some time ago, and consider my drawings instead 'inspired' by my models, and it was very freeing, I am trying to create more of a likeness, however that may be!

Eyes are too big. Reading glasses askew - that's me!

6 comments:

  1. I think one point of doing a series is that not all of them are likely to be equally literal likenesses, but to capture different aspects of you, both inner and outer. The wonderful wild hair and glasses askew and bold, quizzical look certainly FEELS like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and the gorgeous photo of you meditating seems to have disappeared...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're versions of ourselves, Jean. Surely that's it -:)

    Don't know why that meditation image has disappeared. Imageshack down? I'll upload it to Blogger or Flikr when I get home tonight. Oh, so many choice, so many sites! All versions... :giggling:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been enjoying your various self-portraits. I think every time a photo is taken of me I look different — and that's the way I think about your photo & drawings. Much as Jean suggested, they seem to represent (!) different facets of who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one. Sparky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All very lovely. This is my favorite, actually, though.

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___