Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Story of Butterfat Cream

Pulling the tab on a small coffee cream, the last of the four I grabbed as a handful from the box in the fridge, my stainless steel half litre coffee mug sitting in the slot where it is receiving an individually brewed Columbian coffee, it breaks. I look at it in my hand, a butter yellow container of 10% cream, and think of getting a knife to pierce it. Instead I use my fingernail, pushing in one edge. The cream explodes, milk-white drops splatter the arm of my black jacket, slurps of thick cream slide across the faux green marble counter, and over the dark tile floor.

I think of the udder of the cow, of pastures, of bees, of lazy country days, even though I know the cows are milked by machines in highly proficient dairy farms.

Of Krishna, the butter thief who would steal and eat this cream by the thimble-full, even though I know the gods of India don't belong among the fierce warrior gods of capitalism.

Of the greening world flowing over its boundaries and seeping into the corporate surfaces of this high tech kitchen on the 20th floor of a skyscraper in the business core of downtown Toronto, even though nothing organic grows in this controlled environment.

Of gulping the pasteurized cream, the entire boxful, finger broken container by container, letting it pour down my chin, over my business suit, splattering, sliding, oozing.

But I don't. I contain myself, wipe my jacket, the counter, the floor, and pluck out one more cream, pull the tab off, pour it into my coffee.

It is enough that I tell the women that it takes me an hour and fifteen minutes to walk home through the city.

They keep coming and asking me each day how it went, my walk, the air, the sun like dreams in the trains they take to and from this building to homes in the outer suburbs.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a nice one! Delicious savoring of multiple moments via a single one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. Brings back a lot of my own urban/office work life. I especially love how the women come to you for the nourishment of your walk descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The cream explodes, milk-white drops splatter the arm of my black jacket, slurps of thick cream slide across the faux green marble counter, and over the dark tile floor."

    That is already a painting !!!!
    One living painting !

    ReplyDelete
  4. MB, yes, I'll never view those little containers of cream the same way again... there are multiple possibilities contained therein. :)

    Dale, thank you, a meditation on cream... :)

    e_journeys, working at home is so much more civilized, really. With your 32 oz pots of coffee while you're working long stretches, do you take it black or with cream?

    Jean, thank you, now a painting of cream, hmnn...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So well done. The contrasts, the colours, the walk and the train rides ..

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...