Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Enfolded Luminosity: Prostrations...


It's still and always a dance, of colour, form, energies, bodies.

This technique is not the same as paint on canvas, and I'm learning that.

I'm not, well, no, it's not, well, sometimes the idea you had in your mind and what emerges aren't, and, well, it's about acceptance. Dancing a new dance that is always different from all the other dances you've danced.

Still learning the ways watercolour pencils and paper work together; yes, her back is a little 'rubbed over,' but I don't mind that. Aren't all of our backs a little 'rubbed over' with life, what we carry, what we prostrate in our spiritual practice?

I don't know why the Fauvian slashes of colour.

This series (these pencils, this place of residence, my relationships, both in daily life and on line) I'm calling, "Enfolded Luminosity."

Willow Women was splattered this morning by a coffee spill. Maybe I'll throw a heap of water on it and see what happens... it can't be an unwetted drawing anymore.

Dance, Dream, Disappearing into each other is sold; it went quite quickly (thank you beautiful man, dear Bill); there were email exchanges with a few interested people (can I call you that, Mary? it's hardly a fair description of you, your work, our connection), and then the watercolour drawing got betrothed and is awaiting it's suitor now. These pieces are for sale, and thanks, Jean, for reminding me to be more clear about that. Now that I have a working relationship with a woman who manages a print shop, I can also offer 'art prints' on satin finish photograph paper of anything you see here...

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing transformation from the previous drawing. They are both beautiful -- and completely different. I like the yellow very much. Gives me the feeling of pent up energy ready to explode out of those curled bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mb, thank you so much for your beautiful comment... it's growing on me; today I think I can live with it. When my daughter came home the day I painted it she said, "Don't you dare do another thing to it - it's my favourite!" And she insists, if no-one buys it, that it's hers. But, then, she's so sweet... (sometimes, that is). Yes, mb, it is quite a transformation. Is that possible for us, too? I'd like to transform from black and white to slashes of colour- xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting you should say that for I see you in nothing but colors! But as for transformation, Leslee has an image today at the end of her post with which I was quite taken -- plant a seed in the crack of a boulder, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing piece. This is like a stained-glass window come alive.

    On the idea one has versus what emerges: In my better moments I relinquish creative control to the creation itself. Most times I only think I know where I'm going, but then I learn otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, relinquishing control, but being a sort of conduit, that's where it happens for me... and, yes, afterwards learning about where we were going. Your wisdom about these processes marvelous! xo

    ReplyDelete

Self-Portrait with a Fascinator 2016

On Monday, I walked, buying frames from two stores in different parts of the city, then went to the Art Bar Poetry Series in the evening, ab...