Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Prodigal return...

I had one of the nicest Christmas' ever. Low key, but with my family, my two brothers and my mother, on the 25th, and then my two children, two neices and one nephew, and bothers, and mother, and doggy, she's welcome at my mother's, on the 26th. Two years away, and what was not enjoyable before, family tensions et al, are gone, washed away. Just quiet gratitude. The way it should be. And why is it that sometimes we have to nearly lose everything before we let ourselves in to what's there, appreciate what we have? Or is it that I was gone for 2 years, and they nearly lost me, and so are being appreciative of me? Whatever it might be, it was very nice and has left me feeling, well, happy.

I wrote in The Move: "The prodigal return. When what leaves comes back. We return again and again to our roots in our memories and our dreams. We never truly leave where we have come from. Our past lives on in us."

But it's more than that. When you go back to what you can never fully leave, it's changed, it's not the same. I am extremely lucky: it's much better.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:04 PM

    I am so pleased that you enjoyed a nice Christmas, Miss Brenda!

    Quote: "...why is it that sometimes we have to nearly lose everything before we let ourselves in to what's there, appreciate what we have?" I think this is part of the whole process of coming to ourselves. "At first we see through a glass darkly, then face to face [St. Paul]" If, as Dante writes, we come to ourself to find we are lost, well, that is the whole beginning, I think. Each path you have ever taken has led you to this moment and you found it was good and contemplative and filled with gratitude as well. Nowhere to go now but to flourish, yes?

    I'm glad you have this blogshere here as well.

    Continuous Blessings, my Friend~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:00 PM

    I'm glad you had a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Laurie, thank you so much, as ever, for your kindness and wisdom... there are many beginnings and endings and moments of insight and gratitude. I hope your Christmas was festive in all the ways that you needed, and has left you with warm and cosy feelings too. xo

    Hi Petra, thank you for emailing me, and dropping by. I hope your Christmas was warm and wonderful too! Down there in the Caribbean (oh, it must be nice... or have you been there long enough to take it for granted? :)

    *hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never the same. And you are lucky and I am very glad for you. (Read that last phrase the both ways I meant it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, moose, it's such a relief that the tensions of Christmas' Past are gone, finally. No-one ever meant it to be like that, not deep down. And you're right, it's always different. And perhaps somewhat of a surprise each year because of that. Thanks for dropping by... xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy for you, Brenda. Have a wonderful New Year's and a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Richard, glad you dropped by, and you, too, wishes for *even more wonderful* for the New Year's...! xo

    ReplyDelete

A Pulsing Imagination - Ray Clews' Paintings

A video of some of my late brother Ray's paintings and poems I wrote for them. Direct link: https://youtu.be/V8iZyORoU9E ___